DEFINITION OF DESIGN
Design is a creative activity whose aim is to establish the multi-faceted qualities of objects, processes, services and their systems in whole life cycles. Therefore, design is the central factor of innovative humanisation of technologies and the crucial factor of cultural and economic exchange.
Design seeks to discover and assess structural, organisational, functional, expressive and economic relationships, with the task of:
- Enhancing global sustainability and environmental protection (global ethics)
- Giving benefits and freedom to the entire human community, individual and collective
- Final users, producers and market protagonists (social ethics)
- Supporting cultural diversity despite the globalisation of the world (cultural ethics)
- Giving products, services and systems, those forms that are expressive of (semiology) and coherent with (aesthetics) their proper complexity
Therefore, the term designer refers to an individual who practices an intellectual profession, and not simply a trade or a service for enterprises.