2011 IDA Congress
The IDA's primary objectives for the congress are:
- To promote the value of design-based collaboration between designers and non-design stakeholders;
- To provide an engaging and educational experience for the memberships of the IDA Partners and to promote interaction among the memberships;
- To position the IDA as the global voice of design and an enabler of innovation.
"Design at the Edges"
- The edge between the design practices and other fields having a stake in design, including: science, technology, government, business and non-governmental humanitarian organisations;
- The edge
between design disciplines, especially industrial, communication and
interior design/architecture - what do they share in common and what
sets them apart;
- 'Cutting edge' work and ideas in
design and in other fields: radically new, controversial, experimental,
pushing the boundaries of the discipline.
- Economic development
- The Internet
- International Migration
- Focus on how design can mediate between edges of fields with a stake in design;
- Inspire creative design concepts within these fields;
- Induce more dialogue between designers and other fields that have a stake in design;
- promote the value of design and explore design-led approaches as an enabler of innovation.
All five keynote speakers have been confirmed, to learn more about them, please go to the morning plenary sessions morning plenary sessions.
Afternoon parallel sessions
Industrial Design at the Edges of the 5 Topics
Industrial design focuses on the integral application of composite knowledge based on the development of ergonomics, aesthetics and economics. In particular, economic development has enabled industrial designers to now play major roles in business strategies and not just in product design per se. How can design thinking help businesses grow in the emerging mega-markets of China, Brazil and India? How can design thinking help businesses continue to innovate and grow in mature and declining markets?
While the Internet connects the world, cloud computing technology expands the range of industrial design. Through the eye of design, business extends from visible products to invisible services. Cutting edge theories of biotechnology, such as bionics, green power or medical care, inspire the development of new bio-material, green designs or universal design trends. In the topic of urbanism, industrial design focuses on developing strategic design processes that enable more effective solutions to complex urban or social problems. In the ever-increasing trends of international migration, pioneers in human-centered design help to improve people’s standard of living through real products.
registration is now closed
About the IDAThe International Design Alliance (IDA) is a strategic venture between the international organisations representing industrial design, communication design and interior architecture/design. The alliance was created by its founding partners, the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (Icsid) and the International Council of Graphic Design Associations (Icograda) in 2003. In 2008, the IDA welcomed the International Federation of Interior Architects/Designers (IFI) to the alliance as the third partner.
The alliance is based on the desire of its partners to 'do together what they cannot do alone,' concentrating on opportunities arising from multidisciplinary collaboration.
- To serve as the collective voice of design
- To develop and share knowledge of design around the world
- To stimulate innovation through multidisciplinary design collaboration
- To promote the mutual interest of all design professions
- To encourage the use and value of design by building relationships with world bodies
After an international Call for Proposals, the Taiwan Design Centre was selected in 2007 as the host member society to organise the inaugural 2011 IDA Congress.
About Taiwan Design Center
- About TDC on 2011 IDA Congress website
- About TDC on Icsid Member Profile page
- Taiwan Design Center website
Supporting government bodies
For a complete list of supporting government organisations, please visit the 2011 IDA Congress website.
Taipei being selected as the venue for the 2011 IDA Congress prompted the establishment of the Taiwan Design Alliance (TDA), a non-profit organisation, in August 2008. TDA intends to actively engage Taiwanese design in a global context, making its voice heard in the international design community. TDA comprises members from seven major design organizations and associations ranging from industrial design, interior design, graphic design and design promotion in Taiwan. The establishment of TDA will help pool the resources of Taiwan design associations and organisations, and oversee Taiwan’s cultural and design policies as a force in the private sector.
A number of global partners will play an instrumental role in supporting and promoting the congress, For a complete list, please visit the congress website.
Photographs courtesy of: Taipei Information and Tourism and the Tourism Bureau, Ministry of Transportation & Communications , R.O.C.
2011 IDA Congress Taipei
24-26 October 2011
XXVII Icsid General Assembly
27-28 October 2011
News ArchiveeNews June 2011: Design panellist responders announced
Call for Papers: 2011 IDA Congress Education Conference
2011 IDA Congress explores the intersection of design and issues of global relevance
Early bird savings of 60% on 2011 IDA Congress registration until 31 March 2011
2011 IDA Congress Early Bird Rates extended until 31 March 2011
Early bird registration now open for the 2011 IDA Congress
2011 IDA Congress Brochure (PDF - 848KB)
Useful links2011 IDA Congress website
Icsid eNews subscription